How to Root Nexus 5
This is an end to end guide on how to root Nexus 5. Rooting your Nexus 5 will give you administrator access to your Android phone which helps you to remove unwanted apps, install apps that require root access, add more functionalities or flash a Custom ROM on your Nexus 5.
Disclaimer: Rooting your device voids its warranty. Please follow the guide carefully and step by step. Tech Race or its authors are not responsible for bricked or damaged devices.
- Backup your data. Take a backup of your important data like contacts, text messages and move all your images, videos and other files to memory card. To create a backup, simply download this app – Super Backup SMS and Contacts. This rooting process will wipe all your data so it is very much required to make a backup!
- Ensure that your phone is at least 50% charged to avoid unexpected shut down in the rooting process.
- Download Chainfire rooting tool from here – CF Autoroot Nexus 5 (14.1 MB).
- Download and install Google USB driver for Windows from here – Google USB Driver (8.3 MB).
- Enable USB Debugging in your Nexus 5. Go to Settings>Developer Options>Allow USB Debugging. If you are unable to see Developer options in Settings, head to “About Phone” and search for “Build Number”. Keep tapping on “Build Number” repeatedly until there is a small notification “Developer Options have been enabled”. Now Developer options have been enabled and you can head to Developer Options menu to enable USB Debugging.
Procedure on How to Root Nexus 5
- Power off your device. Now press Volume Up and Power key at the same time and hold it until your Nexus 5 starts and displays Android logo.
- Connect Nexus 5 to PC using USB cable. In your PC, open the location where you had downloaded the Chainfire tool and right click by holding the shift key. In the options select “Open command window”. This will open the command prompt.
- Copy and paste this into the command window and hit enter- root-windows.bat
- It will ask for confirmation again with a warning that it will erase all your data if bootloader is not unlocked. As you had already made a backup, hit any key to continue the rooting process.
- Let the process complete. Your Nexus 5 will reboot with Android logo.
Now you can proceed with apps that require a rooted phone or flash a Custom ROM on your Nexus 5.