The Best Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Grand (Updated)
Samsung Galaxy Grand duos is a popular mid range smartphone among buyers. Here in this article, we will give you the list of Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Grand GT-I9082 with the step by step flashing process.
Prerequisites for flashing Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Grand:
- The phone needs to be rooted. If you have not rooted your phone yet, check this article which will help you root Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos.
- Backup! It is necessary to backup all your important data like text messages and contacts. This app will help you backup everything: Super Backup SMS and Contacts.
- Ensure you have at least 75% charge left so that your phone does not shut down during the flashing process.
- You need to be updated to JellyBean 4.2.2 provided by Samsung.
Disclaimer: We try our best that all the information on our website is correct. Tech Race helps you select the best ROM for your phone and understand the process in a simple way. Tech Race is not responsible in any way if your phone gets damaged.
1. CM 11.0 ( Android KitKat 4.4.1)
The CM 11.0 custom ROM for GT-I9082 is developed by well known XDA developer pawitp. This ROM is based on Android KitKat 4.4.1. We have been personally using this ROM and have concluded that this ROM can be used as a daily driver. The RAM consumption of Galaxy Grand duos has reduced significantly. There has been a considerable increase in battery backup from this custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Grand along with decrease in charging time. The only major problem with CM 11.0 ROM is that only the primary SIM works. Cyanogenmod doesn’t support dual SIM. You can check the XDA Forum thread here.
Update: Dual SIM functionality has been enabled after an update to the ROM. After flashing this ROM, you can download the delta update and flash it with same steps as listed below. You can download the latest delta build from here with build number – 20141112. Both the SIM’s work perfectly without any bugs.
Features that work correctly:
- Calls, SMS, Mobile Data
- Sensors (Accelerometer, Compass, Light, Proximity, etc.)
- Camera (photos & videos)
- Video playback
- Audio (playback & recording)
- Everything else not listed under “known issues”
- Only the primary SIM slot works. Update – Secondary SIM is also working with the new update.
- Screenrecord does not work
- FM Radio does not work
- Stock browser does not use hardware acceleration (Please use Google Chrome)
- Sometimes wake up causes music stutter. Update – This bug has been removed.
- Camera sometimes crash when closing app/share
- Does not work on 4.1 stock ROM’s bootloader, please upgrade to 4.2 before flashing
To flash this custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Grand you have to update your phone to JellyBean 4.2.2.
Flashing CM 11.0
2. Connect your phone to computer and copy the downloaded files to your SD card
3. Enter recovery mode by pressing Volume up+Home key+Lock key
4. Once it enters recovery mode, select “install zip from SD card” and then choose the KitKat 4.4.1 firmware. When the process completes again select “install zip from SD card” and choose Google Apps package.
5. The firmware will be upgraded. Now reboot your Galaxy Grand.
6. The custom ROM has been flashed. You can check the firmware version in Settings>About Phone.
2. Sony Xperia Z ROM (JellyBean 4.2.2)
As the name suggests, this ROM is based on Xperia Z which is developed by XDA Developer balliboxer. If you like Sony’s user interface, then this is the ROM for you. The bloatware with which the Galaxy Grand comes with, is removed. This Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Grand looks really beautiful, same as the Xperia Z and runs JellyBean 4.2.2. The developer has added Xperia Z Walkman player, system sounds, fonts, icons, and the famous BRAVIA engine.
- SMS 200 recipients, stop SMS to MMS auto-converting, increase SMS hour limit
- Camera & Camcorder hacks: Adding “Shutter Sound On/Off” in menu
- Flash can be used in low battery
- Xperia Z Modded Launcher
- Xperia Z Wallpaper picker
- Xperia Z Album
- Xperia Z Movies
- Xperia Z Walkman player
- Xperia Z SystemUi
- Xperia Z System Sounds
- Xperia Z Icons
- Xperia Z ClearAudio+
- Xperia Z Sketch
- Xperia Z Social Life App
- Xperia Z Dolby Effects Added
To flash Xperia Z custom ROM, your Galaxy Grand (GT-I9082) should be on JellyBean 4.2.2.
Flashing Xperia Z ROM
- Download the ROM zip from here
- Copy it on your SD Card
- Enter CWM Recovery ( by pressing volume up+ home key + power )
- Select “Wipe data/factory reset”
- Select “Wipe Cache partition”
- Select “Install Zip from SD Card” and choose the ROM zip file which you had downloaded.
Once the process finishes:
1.Wipe Cache partition
2. Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache
3. Reboot the device. You are on Xperia Z ROM.
3. GENNXT ROM (JellyBean 4.2.2)
This awesome Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Grand is again developed by balliboxer and contains features of Samsung’s popular flagship smartphones Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S4. The ROM brings in Galaxy Note 2’s video player, quick glance, Galaxy S4’s lock screen, Smart rotation features etc.
- Note 3 My Files
- Note 3 Multiwindow
- Note 3 Modded Launcher
- Note 3 System icons
- Note 3 Morning Alarm app
- S4 LockScreen with flare effect
- Galaxy S4 app and Settings icons
- S4 AccuWeather widget
- Galaxy S4 Contacts app
- 30 + Awesome Fonts
- MIUI Lockscreen App
- Customized Full Rom by Xposed Modules
- Adobe Flash Player
- Popup Browser
- Viper Sound mod amazing sound experience
The battery backup of Galaxy Grand after installing this ROM is average. It has been optimized for better performance and reduced lags.
Flashing GENNXT ROM:
- Download the ROM zip file from here
- Copy it on your SD Card
- Enter CWM recovery by pressing volume up button+home button+power button
- Wipe data/factory reset
- Wipe cache partition
- Install the zip file from SD card by browsing through it and choosing ‘Install” option
It will take some time for installation. Once it finishes you will be on the CWM recovery screen again. Now follow these steps:
- Wipe cache partition
- Go to Advanced and select Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Congrats ! You are on GENNXT custom ROM !
Let us know your experience after flashing any of these custom ROM’s. If you encounter any problem during the process let us know in the comments section below.
Bonus: Awesome Samsung Galaxy Grand Phone Covers! Check out these amazing phone covers.
Also on Amazon