The best Custom ROM’s for your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
Samsung is yet to release an update for its older flagship, the Galaxy S3. Users might be tempted to taste Android KitKat on their devices or even explore additional features that they would get by flashing a Custom ROM on their Galaxy S3 I9300. The Custom ROM’s listed in this article are running KitKat 4.4.2 which are stock Android.
Tech Race is not responsible in any way if you brick your phone. Ensure that you have rooted your Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 and have minimum of 75% charging before you start the flashing process and take full backup. We recommend Titanium Backup to backup your data and phone which can be downloaded from Play Store here. To flash the Custom ROM’s given, you can simply follow these general steps (or head to particular ROM’s):
- Download the ROM zip
- Copy it on your SD Card
- Enter CWM Recovery ( by pressing volume up+ home key + power )
- Select “Wipe data/factory reset”
- Select “Wipe Cache partition”
- Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache”
- Select “Install Zip from SD Card” and choose the ROM zip file which you had downloaded.
- Wait till the process completes. After completion, your device will reboot and will optimize your apps. Note that it will take some time.
1. CyanogenMod 11 running KitKat 4.4.2
CyanogenMod is the most popular ROM considering that the OnePlus One runs CyanogenMod out of the box. The CM 11 is based on stock Android firmware and hence removes all the bloatware Galaxy S3 comes with. In addition, developers often update the ROM fixing bugs and bringing new features. You can download the ROM from here and here’s the XDA discussion thread. To flash the ROM, head to steps previously mentioned. After installing the Zip file, install Google Apps package which can be downloaded from here. In addition, do a Wipe Data/ Factory reset after installing the zip. Then your device will reboot and will start optimizing your apps. If you are already running an older version of CyanogenMod, you can directly download and copy the ROM Zip in your SD card, boot into recovery and install the Zip file from SD card and then reboot. There are some known issues with the ROM which you can figure out here.
2. SlimKat ROM running KitKat 4.4.2
SlimKat ROM for Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is one of the most stable ROM’s according to the users who have flashed. Although being light weight, SlimKat ROM’s provide all the tweaks and functionalities that any other ROM provides. As compared to the stock ROM from Samsung, SlimKat ROM uses less RAM, besides providing all the features and being minimalistic. SlimKat ROM come with host of customization options. You can download the ROM Zip from here and Google Apps package from here. Note that you have to sign in to download the files.
The NeatROM is compiled from the SlimKat ROM providing all the features of the ROM and in addition, gives more customizing options. You can view the detailed functions provided by NeatROM for Galaxy S3 GT-I9300:
- Notification drawer Shortcuts
- Nova Launcher
- Darker Camera – colour filter options, GPS indicator etc
- Auto keyboard rotation feature
- Pattern size customizing
- Lock before unlock the new way
- Lockscreen shortcuts
- Fully revamped lockscreen target options
- Start widgets maximized on lockscreen
- Full customizable low battery warning
- Wake up on charge
- Volume rocker wake
- Volume rocker music control
- Fully Customizable Hardware Buttons
- Disable/Enable Menu Key Unlock
- Better Battery Life
- Added Battery Animation while Charging
- Noise suppression for phone calls
Click on the image to enlarge.
4. Resurrection Remix running KitKat 4.4.2
Resurrection Remix ROM for Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is based on AOKP (Android Open Kang Project:Wiki), CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android etc. Developer Westcrip states that it creates combination of performance, customization and features. Here’s the list of features of Resurrection Remix ROM:
- Active display
- Lockscreen Notifications
- Notification panel tweaks
- Tiles style
- Music Toggle
- Pitch Black UI Mode
- Camera mods
- Custom system animations
- Battery bar options
- Expanded desktop
- Performance controller
- Privacy guard
- Nova/Stock launcher included
Which of the Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 you are using and liked/hated the most? Let us know in the comments section below.